This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome back author Doug Lamov. Doug is here to discus his new book, The Coach’s Guide to Teaching. Doug was on the podcast years ago in episode #046 to discuss his previous book, Teach Like a Champion 2.0: 62 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College. In his new book, and all throughout our conversation, we dive into how to give feedback, check for understanding, and how to build culture, plus much, much more! Grab a pen and something to write on–you will need it or this episode! You can follow @DougLemov or visit his website https://teachlikeachampion.com/ to learn more.
Highlights and great quotes from the this episode:
- Learning how to give feedback
- Teaching kids how to be decision makers
- Do players see because they scan, or scan because they see?
- How does looking at the phone on game day hurt athlete performance?
- Does your club have a curriculum and a plan to deliver it?
- “Starting an activity the phase before the one you are working on”
- Simplifying how we teach young athletes
- Reducing the cognitive load on working memory
- “You can get a lot wrong if you get culture right.”
- How to move kids up and down without kids thinking they are being punished for going down
More about Doug Lemov
Doug Lemov is the author of the international bestseller Teach Like a Champion, Teach Like a Champion 2..0 andPractice Perfect. He is one of the foremost teacher educators in the world, and recently he has branched into the world of coach education. He now consults with major League Baseball teams and is an instructor for the US Soccer professional licenses. His new book The Coach’s Guide to Teaching will soon become a “must read” for any serious coach. In our conversation today, john and Doug break down this incredible book, touch on topics such as decision making vs. problem solving, how forgetting is key to learning, performance vs learning, how to give feedback and check for understanding, and so much more. Take out your notebooks and pens and get ready to write, as this one is a doozy.
The Way of Champions Podcast is brought to you by Sports Refund.
When kids sign up to play youth sports there are always fees involved. And parents pay those fees so their child can be on the team, not the injury report. That’s why I love Sports Refund, and parents will too. Sports Refund is low-cost sports fee insurance – NOT health insurance, sports fee insurance. So if your child becomes injured or sick and can’t play, you get your fees reimbursed for that lost time, from one game to an entire season. It’s that simple. This product not only saves families wasted fees, it saves injured athletes the stress of feeling like they’re wasting their parents’ money. The fees come back until the player comes back. So they can focus on fully recovering and making a healthy return to the game. Sports Refund has options for individuals and organizations. Ask your club if they offer it, or visit SportsRefund.com/Game to learn more and sign up today. That’s SportsRefund.com/Game. Can’t Play? Don’t Pay. With Sports Refund.
Become a Podcast Champion!
Help Support the Podcast and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses. If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions