This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome Caleb Porter, 2x MLS Champion Coach and head coach of the Major League Soccer club Columbus Crew. We talk about what makes a great coach, developing your own coaching style, and why being honest with your players is the best way to create a great culture.
Highlights and great quotes from the this episode:
- What makes a great coach?
- Learning from a great coach while developing your own style
- Focusing on the WHY of coaching to bring a fresh perspective
- What does it feel like to be coached by Caleb Porter?
- How Coach Porter intentionally creates culture for his team
- The value of being honest with your players and creating a family environment
More about Caleb Porter
Coach Porter was previously head coach of the Portland Timbers from 2013 until 2017, winning MLS Cup in 2015 and 2020. He also coached the United States U-23 team in 2011–12, and lead the University of Akron men’s team from 2006 to 2012, winning the NCAA title in 2010.
Become a Podcast Champion!
Help Support the Podcast and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses. If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions