This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome back Todd Beane, founder of TOVO Academy in Barcelona, Spain and a former director with the Cruyff Institute. During our discussion, we we talk about how to coach clearly, how to establish a club philosophy, why it is important to find your why, and why it is important to find define our ideal player and ideal practice.
Check out his new book Clear Coaching: Harness Clarity To Drive Development and follow him on twitter @_ToddBeane.
Highlights and great quotes from the this episode:
- Launching a product with NWSL
- The need for more female coaches
- Taking five weeks and forty years to write a book
- Searching for and understanding “why” you coach
- How to train athletes to be problem solvers
- Bowling and playing Duck Duck Goose with your soccer players
- What are some of the biggest challenges in installing a new methodology?
- Being an Educator vs a Teacher
- Seeing experiences through the eyes of the kids
- Reflecting as a Coach
More about Todd Beane
Todd Beane is the Founder of TOVO Academy in Barcelona, Spain and a former director with the Cruyff Institute, working for 10 years alongside Johan Cruyff, one of the greatest players, coaches and philosophers in soccer history. Todd played collegiate soccer at Dartmouth College and earned his masters in education from Stanford University, before embarking on a decade long teaching journey. He then helped found the Cruyff Institute, and upon Cruyff’s passing founded TOVO Academy and the TOVO Institute to meld the worlds of education and coaching in soccer. Todd has just released a book containing many of his ideas called Clear Coaching: Harness Clarity to Drive Development. Today John and Todd discuss the book, coach education and development, and a project they have been working on together: introducing the TOVO methodology to John’s local soccer club in Bend, Oregon. You can follow Todd at @_ToddBeane on Twitter or go to TOVOInstitute.com to learn more about coaching education and player residency camps in Spain, the US, and online.
The Way of Champions Podcast is brought to you by Sports Refund.
When kids sign up to play youth sports there are always fees involved. And parents pay those fees so their child can be on the team, not the injury report. That’s why I love Sports Refund, and parents will too. Sports Refund is low-cost sports fee insurance – NOT health insurance, sports fee insurance. So if your child becomes injured or sick and can’t play, you get your fees reimbursed for that lost time, from one game to an entire season. It’s that simple. This product not only saves families wasted fees, it saves injured athletes the stress of feeling like they’re wasting their parents’ money. The fees come back until the player comes back. So they can focus on fully recovering and making a healthy return to the game. Sports Refund has options for individuals and organizations. Ask your club if they offer it, or visit SportsRefund.com/Game to learn more and sign up today. That’s SportsRefund.com/Game. Can’t Play? Don’t Pay. With Sports Refund.
Become a Podcast Champion!
Help Support the Podcast and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses. If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions