This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome Mike O’Malley, actor, producer, and youth sport advocate. You have seen Mike on Morning Show, The Good Place, Yes, Dear; Parks and Recreation, Justified; My Own Worst Enemy; My Name is Earl; Welcome to the Family and The Mike O’Malley Show. Mike is also a champion for youth sports.
During our discussion, we dive into the state of youth sports, yelling during a band performance or writing assignment, and making youth sport teams fair for the benefit of all. Mike shares many great insights on the world of youth sports!
Highlights and great quotes from the this episode:
- What is the state of youth sports?
- Allowing your kids to fail and succeed
- Why aren’t more kids playing multiple sports and learning basic physical skills?
- Yelling during a band performance or writing assignment
- Making youth sport teams fair for the benefit of all
- Deciphering the difference between a pizza party after a win or after a loss
- Working with Lebron James
More About Mike O’Malley
Mike O’Malley is the creator of the award-winning television series Survivor’s Remorse, which recently completed its four season run on Starz. Currently, he is the showrunner of the LionsGate/Starz hour long drama Heels which began shooting last summer. O’Malley also wrote on Showtime’s Shameless for the first four seasons. As an actor, Mike was nominated for his groundbreaking portrayal of Burt Hummel on Glee, and more recently starred in Wayne, now airing on Amazon. Television acting credits include: Morning Show, The Good Place, Yes, Dear; Parks and Recreation, Justified; My Own Worst Enemy; My Name is Earl; Welcome to the Family and The Mike O’Malley Show. Film acting credits include: Sully, Concussion, 28 Days, Deep Impact, Cedar Rapids, Eat Pray Love and Meet Dave. Way back when, he hosted the Nickelodeon shows Get the Picture and Guts. Mike co-authored the book for the Broadway musical Jimmy Buffett’s Welcome to Margaritaville and has written two plays that have been published by Samuel French: Three Years from Thirty and Diverting Devotion. His play Searching for Certainty was adapted into the film Certainty, which won the Best Screenplay award at the Boston film Festival. Born in Boston, and raised in New Hampshire, Mr. O’Malley resides in Los Angeles with his wife Lisa and their three children.
The Way of Champions Podcast is brought to you by Sports Refund. When kids sign up to play youth sports there are always fees involved. And parents pay those fees so their child can be on the team, not the injury report. That’s why I love Sports Refund, and parents will too. Sports Refund is low-cost sports fee insurance – NOT health insurance, sports fee insurance. So if your child becomes injured or sick and can’t play, you get your fees reimbursed for that lost time, from one game to an entire season. It’s that simple.
This product not only saves families wasted fees, it saves injured athletes the stress of feeling like they’re wasting their parents’ money. The fees come back until the player comes back. So they can focus on fully recovering and making a healthy return to the game. Sports Refund has options for individuals and organizations. Ask your club if they offer it, or visit SportsRefund.com/Game to learn more and sign up today. That’s SportsRefund.com/Game. Can’t Play? Don’t Pay. With Sports Refund.
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions