This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome Vern Gambetta. Vern is currently is the Director of Gambetta Sports Training Systems. He has been the a conditioning coach for several teams in Major League Soccer as well as the conditioning consultant to the US Men’s World Cup Soccer team. Vern is the former Director of Conditioning for the Chicago White Sox and Director of Athletic Development for the New York Mets.
In our discussion, we dive into the importance of being a systems coach, why athletes need to be given tools instead of drills, and why you won’t see any of Vern’s programming online.
Vern is recognized internationally as an expert in training and conditioning for sport having worked with world class athletes and teams in a wide variety of sports. He is a popular speaker and writer on conditioning topics having lectured and conducted clinics in Canada, Japan, Australia and Europe. Vern’s coaching experience spans 50 years at all levels of competition. He received his BA from Fresno State University and his teaching credential with a coaching minor from University of California Santa Barbara. Vern obtained his MA in Education with an emphasis in physical education from Stanford University.
Vern has authored six books and over a hundred articles related to coaching and sport performance in a variety of sports. His most popular book, Athletic Development: The Art & Science of Functional Sports Conditioning is widely regarded as a must read on the training process for coaches of all levels.
Highlights from the Podcast:
- Vern shares the inspiration for becoming a “systems coach”
- Why is it important to develop your own system as a coach?
- How did Vern create his systems mindset?
- Why don’t many organizations employ a sport psychologist and why they should.
- Why you won’t see videos online of Vern’s programming
- Vern shares stories about his early coaching career
The Way of Champions Podcast is brought to you by Sports Refund. When kids sign up to play youth sports there are always fees involved. And parents pay those fees so their child can be on the team, not the injury report. That’s why I love Sports Refund, and parents will too. Sports Refund is low-cost sports fee insurance – NOT health insurance, sports fee insurance. So if your child becomes injured or sick and can’t play, you get your fees reimbursed for that lost time, from one game to an entire season. It’s that simple. This product not only saves families wasted fees, it saves injured athletes the stress of feeling like they’re wasting their parents’ money. The fees come back until the player comes back. So they can focus on fully recovering and making a healthy return to the game. Sports Refund has options for individuals and organizations. Ask your club if they offer it, or visit SportsRefund.com/Game to learn more and sign up today. That’s SportsRefund.com/Game. Can’t Play? Don’t Pay. With Sports Refund.
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions