This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome Dr. Greg Dale. Dr. Dale is the Director of Sport Psychology and Leadership Program for Duke Athletics and author of The Seven Secrets of Successful Coaches. In his sport psychology role, Dale provides consultations for individual athletes, coaches and staff members. In addition, Dale provides team building services for athletic teams and other units within the athletic department.
We dive into the need to stop catastrophizing failure, how to build culture, how do approach change, and how do we recruit people to fit into our culture. Check out his website http://www.excellenceinperformance.com/.
Highlights from the Podcast:
– Teaching “sports athletics” at the university level
– Are sports fundamentally good?
– Coaches responding to sports during a pandemic
– Servant Leadership
– What is the essence of coaching?
– Learning to coach by spending time with coaches from other sports
– How do “one-and-done” athletes effect the culture of a university-level team?
– C.U.L.T. Athletics (Connection, Ultimate caring, Love, Trust), a Jerry-ism made up on the spot
– How can we build stronger connections with our athletes?
– Growing from an assistant coach to a head coach
More about Greg Dale:
In his leadership role, Dale provides leadership training for athletes, coaches and administrators within the department through various educational programs. He is also a professor of sport psychology and sport ethics in the Department of Health, Wellness and Physical Education.
In July of 2018, Dale was named to the newly-created Integrative Performance Excellence Group, a unit comprised of directors in the areas of Sports Performance, Athletic Medicine, Sports Nutrition and Behavioral Health, as well as individuals representing psychological services, team physicians and primary care physicians. The goal of this working group is to enhance the experience of Duke student-athletes by providing an integrative approach to the care of each individual athlete throughout his or her collegiate career while continuing to cultivate partnerships with the Duke University Hospital, Duke Sports Science Institute, Duke Student Health and Duke Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) as part of its holistic approach to student-athlete health.
Dale received his bachelor’s degree from Stephen F. Austin State University in 1985. He went on to ear a master’s from Columbia University in 1987 and his doctorate from The University of Tennessee in 1993.
Dale, a native of Troy, Texas, has written four books on leadership, coaching, parenting and performance and serves as a consultant to numerous athletic and corporate organizations around the world.
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast:
– Freakonomics Podcast: The Hidden Side of Sports (https://freakonomics.com/hidden-sports/
– Amazon Book Link for The Seven Secrets of Successful Coaches.
The Way of Champions Podcast is brought to you by Sports Refund. When kids sign up to play youth sports there are always fees involved. And parents pay those fees so their child can be on the team, not the injury report. That’s why I love Sports Refund, and parents will too. Sports Refund is low-cost sports fee insurance – NOT health insurance, sports fee insurance. So if your child becomes injured or sick and can’t play, you get your fees reimbursed for that lost time, from one game to an entire season. It’s that simple. This product not only saves families wasted fees, it saves injured athletes the stress of feeling like they’re wasting their parents’ money. The fees come back until the player comes back. So they can focus on fully recovering and making a healthy return to the game. Sports Refund has options for individuals and organizations. Ask your club if they offer it, or visit SportsRefund.com/Game to learn more and sign up today. That’s SportsRefund.com/Game. Can’t Play? Don’t Pay. With Sports Refund.
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
– Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
– A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
– A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
– Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions