This week on the Way of Champions Podcast is a replay of a previous episode with EPL and US National Team Player Jay DeMerit. Jay has one of the most unique stories to success the sport of soccer has ever seen. An MLS reject that backpacked to Europe and climbed the English soccer pyramid from the 12th tier to become the captain of Watford FC in the English Premier League. He also represented the US Mens National Team for five years, playing every minute of his teams games in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. In 2011 he became the first ever signing & captain for the Vancouver Whitecaps in MLS. He finished his career in 2014, after captaining the Vancouver Whitecaps for four seasons. Visit his website at https://jaydemeritstory.com/.
Using his vast experience in professional soccer, Jay will share the highs and the lows he’s endured along his journey through his 10-year professional career. Highlights are the season of 2006-07, where Jay and his underdog Watford FC team were promoted to the English Premier League, the biggest soccer league in the world, as well as his experiences in playing a major role in the World Cup in 2010. Defining leadership traits, dealing with adversities, identifying commonality between diverse personalities, creating culture, and role management are just a few things Jay will touch on, as well as how he learned to lead from others through mentorship, and then grow into captain himself.
Jay has taken the stage at Tedx Vancouver (https://youtu.be/zKwZutf5GGU), spoken at a wide variety of national conferences, and has even been the keynote speaker on “Grit” at the US Soccer Federation’s annual symposium. His story was the subject of “Rise & Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story” a documentary released in 2011 after a successful kickstarter campaign, where the passionate soccer community raised $223,000 to turn this important story into a feature film.
Highlights from the Podcast:
– When Jay became a soccer player
– On Learning to adapt to the opportunities
– Why choosing life experiences made the difference
– On being a pub league sub
– Be ready when the big break knocks on the door
– What it means to be a team player
– The world’s most expensive game
– Coming home was the toughest thing
– One of Jay’s greatest accomplishments
– Jay’s advice to young players
The Way of Champions Podcast is brought to you by Sports Refund. When kids sign up to play youth sports there are always fees involved. And parents pay those fees so their child can be on the team, not the injury report. That’s why I love Sports Refund, and parents will too. Sports Refund is low-cost sports fee insurance – NOT health insurance, sports fee insurance. So if your child becomes injured or sick and can’t play, you get your fees reimbursed for that lost time, from one game to an entire season. It’s that simple. This product not only saves families wasted fees, it saves injured athletes the stress of feeling like they’re wasting their parents’ money. The fees come back until the player comes back. So they can focus on fully recovering and making a healthy return to the game. Sports Refund has options for individuals and organizations. Ask your club if they offer it, or visit SportsRefund.com/Game to learn more and sign up today. That’s SportsRefund.com/Game. Can’t Play? Don’t Pay. With Sports Refund.
the web: https://directory.libsyn.com/shows/view/id/wayofchampions
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
– Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
– A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
– A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
– Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions