This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we talk with hockey coach Damian DiGulian and volleyball coach Bryan McDermand in a discussion about how to return to sport. Not only do we dive into returning to play, but we also all about college recruiting, saving kids from getting burned out, and what youth sports could be as a result of the pandemic.
Damian DiGiulian returns to Saint Michael’s for his ninth season as the men’s ice hockey head coach in 2020-21. DiGiulian, who has also coached in the USA Hockey development system, is just the third head coach since the program was elevated to varsity status for the 1982-83 season. Click here for more information on Coach DiGiulian.
Bryan McDermand has been coaching volleyball for over 15 years. On top of being a former collegiate indoor player/Open-level beach player, Bryan coached junior college, NCAA Division III, and NCAA Division I. Also, Bryan has coached juniors club full time and juniors in Beach Volleyball for the last 7 years. Visit his website at https://www.progressionvolleyball.com/.
Highlights from the Podcast:
- Bryan talks about why he created Progression Volleyball
- Damian discusses his coaching journey
- What does practicing during a pandemic look like?
- How do we come back as better sports organizations?
- Getting seen versus getting better
- 5 Things athletes need to consider when looking for a scholarship
- Can we return to sport and also save kids from burnout?
- The recruiting process, good and bad
- How important is character to the recruiting process?
- Club sports and why they are so expensive
- Adapting practice and competitions during a pandemic
For the month of October, get 60% off of the audio version of
Every Moment Matters by clicking here.
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions