This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome Steve Morris, author of What Size Balls Do I Need?: A Roadmap for Survival In The Dizzying World of Youth Sports. Coach Steve encourages parents to enjoy their kids’ brief 10-year window in youth sports, a goal best accomplished by dialing down the pressure and tempering their expectations. Only a fraction of high school athletes play sports at the college level, and far fewer go on to play professionally. The most dynamic statistic is the number of life-long friendships created among teammates. Learn more at https://www.whatsizeballs.com/.
During our conversation, we dive into the myth of maximizing a young athletes potential, how we can create better experiences for our young athletes, and the one thing most division one athletes regret most about their youth sport experience.
Steve’s Website www.whatsizeballs.com
Steve on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coachstevela/
Amazon link to Steve’s book What Size Balls Do I Need?
Highlights from the Podcast:
- How Steve ended up writing What Size Balls Do I Need?
- Does it matter what age a coach started teaching certain skills?
- When did youth sports become such a big business?
- The myth of maximizing a young athletes potential
- What are the three ways a kid gets to the higher levels of sport participation?
- Why don’t we get upset when coaches yell at 7-year-olds?
- How can we allow kids to have a better experience in youth sports?
- What is the number one regret of most division one athletes?
- What has the Covid effect been in youth sports?
- How to deal with toxic coaches and a few cautionary tales
- Why do the losses bother the parents more than the kids?
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions