This week on the Way of Champions Podcast we welcome back Dr. Wade. Gilbert, an award-winning professor in the department of kinesiology at California State University at Fresno and the author of Coaching Better Every Season: A year-round system for athlete development and program success. We started with an insightful discussion on Zoom fatigue, etiquette and breakout rooms, talked about the idea of disruption and how it impacts team unity, how to manage the uncertainty of players during this time.
Dr. Gilbert holds degrees in physical education, human kinetics, and education and has taught and studied coaching at the University of Ottawa (Canada), UCLA, and Fresno State. He has more than 20 years of experience in conducting applied research with coaches around the world spanning all competitive levels, from youth leagues to the FIFA World Cup and the Olympic Games. He is widely published and is frequently invited to speak at national and international events. Gilbert is a coach education advisor to USA Football and a regular contributor to coaching seminars for Olympic and national team coaches in the United States and Canada.
In addition, Gilbert is editor in chief of the International Sport Coaching Journal, published by Human Kinetics in conjunction with SHAPE America and the International Council for Coaching Excellence (ICCE). As Human Kinetics’ coach education advisor, “The Coach Doc” writes articles and conducts webinars on a variety of coaching issues.
Highlights from the Podcast:
- Managing Zoom fatigue, etiquette and breakout rooms
- Is there too much communication from a coach to a player?
- How do Wade and Jerry manage he uncertainty of the players?
- Managing expectations and motivating players to stay in shape
- What do you do when two athletes on the team have fundamental beliefs about a topic outside of sports?
- What are the rules of engagement for social media and fidgeting disruptive social media behavior?
- Ending cancel culture and being able to disagree with someone in a respectful manner
- How an idea from Abraham Lincoln can save your reputation in the future
- Wade shares some things from his book Coaching Better Every Season
- Coaching Better Every Season: A year-round system for athlete development and program success.
- WOC #33 Best Selling Authors Wade Gilbert and Jerry Lynch Discuss What Quality Coaching Really Looks Like
- Flying Coach With Steve Kerr and Pete Carroll
- The Lion Tracker’s Guide to Life
Help Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
If you love the podcast, we would love for you to become a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK, its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions