Dan Abrahams is a sport psychologist who works alongside individuals, teams, coaches and organizations globally. He is known for his passion to de-mystify sport psychology and for creating simple to use performance techniques. Dan is a returning guest to the show (see episode #003) and it was again an incredible conversation. We discuss ways an athlete can establish a mental framework for success, how much of our performance we control, and we have a debate on whether attitude, energy and effort are in the control of the athlete.
Highlights from the Discussion:
- Dan talks about the different strategies he uses to help athletes perform at their best
- What do stomping “ANTS” and focusing on “Controllables” have to do with performance?
- How much of our performance do we control?
- What does a mental framework look like for a typical athlete?
- Dan explains the importance of self-talk for any athlete
- How to manage pain by taking control of the inner dialogue with the self
- Understanding the psycho-social model of learning for athletes
- How do we help coaches write sessions plans that increase learning?
- Why Dan believes Attitude, Energy, and Effort are not controllable
- How a small turn of language can help an athlete better understand how to improve their behavior
- What has Dan learned by having his own podcast The Sport Psych Show
A former professional golfer and PGA qualified, Dan has a First Class Honours degree in Psychology and a Masters degree in Sport Psychology. He is registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), meaning he is an accredited psychologist and bound by the HCPC’s code of conduct which emphasises confidentiality, evidence of professional development, safe practice, and standards of proficiency. Dan is the author of several sport psychology booksas well as the founder of the Dan Abrahams Soccer Academy.
- The Sport Psych Show, podcast by Dan Abrahams
- #003 Way of Champions Podcast with EPL Sport Psych Dan Abrahams
- Click here for Dan Abraham Books on Amazon
- Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance by Alex Hutchenson
Connect with Dan Abrahams:
- Twitter: @DanAbrahams77
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danabrahamssoccer/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwm6s7NBEddS_QtdnEn6-WQ
- Website: https://danabrahams.com
Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
We are now offering you the ability to contribute as a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions) for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions