This week’s podcast guest is J.P. Nerbun, mentor, writer, coach, and sports consultant. We dive into the difference between transformational coaching and transactional coaching, why labeling an athlete as “uncoachable” is more of a reflection on the coach than the athlete, and why every coach should be intentional about their “non-negotiables.”
JP has coached basketball in Ireland, Lithuania, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. While in Ireland, JP coached 30 teams in five years! That is a lot of time to learn a lot of lessons in coaching.
Highlights from the Discussion:
- A discussion on parents wanting transformation, but expecting transactional coaching
- How did JP develop his coaching style?
- The importance of coaches asking themself, “What can I do better?” and “What are my blind spots?”
- A discussion on the “uncoachable” athlete
- How does JP advise coaches on how to shape behavior?
- Every coach should have their “non-negotiables”
- JP explains why he wrote Calling Up: Discovering Your Journey to Transformational Leadership
In 2017, JP started Thrive On Challenge as a blog, and it grew into a sports consulting business. He has served coaches, athletes, and parents across the world, at every level and in every sport you can name. He is most passionate about walking with coaches on their journeys to becoming better leaders and build a transformational culture.
Connect with JP Nurbun
- Website: https://thriveonchallenge.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JpNerbun
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jpnerbun/
- Calling Up: Discovering Your Journey to Transformational Leadership by JP Nurbun
- Coaching Culture Podcast
- InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives by Joe Ehrmann
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
Visit us on:
- Web: https://changingthegameproject.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ctgprojecthq
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChangingTheGameProject/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ctgprojecthq/
- iTunes: http://bit.ly/wocpodcast
Support the Podcast!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
We are now offering you the ability to contribute as a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions)for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions