How can an Olympic Silver Medal be the greatest and worst moment of your life? This week on the Way of Champions Podcast, we welcome 5x Olympian and current Chair of UK Sport: Dame Katherine Grainger. Dame Katherine is British rower and with five Olympic medals and is Great Britain’s most decorated female Olympian.
We dive into many different topics during our time together, including how a karate teacher changed the course of Kathrine’s life, the best way to get athletes to love a sport or team, what it was like to be so close to a gold medal for 12 years, and the qualities of a great coach.
In addition to being a 2012 Summer Olympics gold medallist, four-time Olympic silver medallist, and six-time World Champion, Dame Katherine also has an MA in Medical Law, an MA Ethics, and a Ph.D. in Criminal Law.
Highlights from the Podcast:
* The importance of teachers and coaches in a child’s life
* How a chance meeting helped Kathrine find the sport of rowing
* The role of a coach in sharing a passion for sport and creating a positive experience
* Chasing the gold medal over five Olympic Games
* What it’s like to sustain enthusiasm when your main competition is only every four years
* Participating in the Olympics when you are the home team
* How Kathrine’s parents supported her throughout her career
* Kathrine describes her experiences with her coaches
* What are the qualities of a great coach?
* The importance of getting to know the person and the athlete
* What it’s like being the Chair of UK Sport
Connect with Dame Katherine Grainger
Visit us on:
Announcements for Changing The Game Project:
Way of Champions Conference will be in Denver, CO on August 2-4. Visit https://changingthegameproject.com/wocconference for more information!
SUPPORT THE PODCAST!
Become a Podcast Champion! …and get FREE access to ALL of our online courses.
We are now offering you the ability to contribute as a Podcast Champion, (https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions)for as little as a cup of coffee per month (OK its a Venti Mocha), to help us up the ante and provide even better interviews, better sound, and an overall enhanced experience. Plus, as a $10 per month Podcast Super-Champion, you will have access to never before released and bonus material, including:
Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don’t have to crash your car trying to take notes!
A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month’s episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
A code to get free access to our online course called “Coaching Mastery,” usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron.
Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.
Thank you for all your support these past two years, and a special big thank you to all of you who become part of our inner circle, our patrons, who will enable us to take our podcast to the next level. https://www.patreon.com/wayofchampions